Case processing fees
Processing undertaken by the Rent Disputes Tribunal (HTU) costs 1 court fee (1 R) if a landlord submits a claim, and 0.2 court fees (0.2 R) if a tenant submits a claim. Court fees are determined by the authorities.
- When the HTU receives a claim, it is given a case number and an invoice covering the case processing fee is sent to the complainant.
- The complainant must pay the fee before processing of the claim can commence. The case processing fee covers all the HTU's processing expenses, including those relating to mediation meetings and any decisions made. (If it becomes necessary to provide notification by placing an advertisement in the newspapers and if the complainant decides that he still wants the case to be processed, then he must also pay for any such expenses.
- The HTU has to reject cases for which the fees have not been paid.
- Even if a case is rejected because the fees have not been paid, it can be re-submitted. However, this is conditional on the fees having been paid.
- If the complainant wants the respondent to pay compensation for/pay the case processing fees, then he must request such. If no such requests are received then the HTU cannot agree to this. Very strict conditions apply to the award of other case expenses than the case processing fees (e.g. lawyers' fees).